So I tried out the FIRST schedule for a week. I can sum it all up in one word... BUTTKICKER!
Monday: Key workout #1 - 2 mile warmup/6 x (1 min fast then 1 min easy)/1 mile cooldown
Easy right? Wrong! I could whine all day about the heat and humidity, but the fact is that I've never really done legit speedwork, so it killed my body.
Tuesday: Cross-training - Biking (cycling?) Which is it? Gosh. I'm such a n00b :) Truth is... I haven't biked/cycled probably since 8th grade. I had to dust cobwebs off my mom's bike (mine had been sold at a garage sale about 5 years ago..ha), pump up the tires, and raise the seat up. But all the hard work paid off.. I loved it! I didn't get super hot because the wind was all around me.. why have I not done this until now!? I used to think it biking/cycling was easy, I mean it looks easy to an outsider - like they're just gliding gracefully along - not exactly. I went about 10 miles altogether and my thighs were on fire! But after the workout and shower I wasn't sore or exhausted; I could tell in my legs that I had used different muscles than the day before. Pretty cool stuff.
Wednesday: Key Workout #2 - 2 mile warmup/2 mile tempo pace/2 mile cooldown
Once again, sounds easy right? Wrong! I went into this workout pretty confident, but it was HARD. I cheated... I couldn't keep the pace for the whole two miles. I actually have no idea what my pace was. Just faster than the warmup. I don't have a Garmin or anything :( so I just went faster than my normal pace. But it just made me more determined to do better this week!
Thursday: Cross-training - Biking/Cycling
Friday: Key Workout #3 - 8 mile run
Definitely my favorite out of the workouts! I felt like I could have kept on going forever after #8.. but since its been a couple weeks since I've gone farther than 8, I decided to stick to the plan and not risk injuries or anything.
Saturday: Day off - Packing for school!
Sunday: Day off - Moving in and all that good stuff!
I can't wait to start back tomorrow. I have confidence that it will help me get faster by allowing my muscles to adjust and repair themselves. Plus now I love biking/cycling! :) Hopefully once school is back in full swing I'll still be able to keep up my running schedule as well.
--CheetahGirl
4 comments:
Way to go! Sounds like a tough week; good job. I'm glad that you love biking so much; I love to bike!
When life affords you the opportunity, you should get a Garmin. I thought I would hate it because it's so bulky, but I LOVE it. It's worth the splurge.
You're doing great! :-)
Hope you are having a good week so far. You may have inspired me to ride a bike. And that is a BIG deal! Great job last week.
P.S. The speedwork will get easier.
That is an awesome week of running! Way to go!
Post a Comment